Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Familiar Look

The look I saw in his eyes was familiar to me.
It took me back…


I began to think about the boys I knew in elementary.


Those who had so much promise!
Those whom hope had such a hold!


Those who were convinced they would be “somebody”!
Oh where did that type of mind-set go?


He looked at me as if he knew he was wrong.
His own conscience had judged him and though torment was evident he chose to go on!


His look replied to me, I’m at the point where I need to be rescued,
I’m starving rapidly… I’m so close to doom.


But my momma sees me as just another man and not her child
There is no in between


As for my father and me we have no common ground.
I choose not to say all of this out loud… I imagine how this may sound!


I am a Black man, who is hopeless,
Yet somehow I’m coping!


Came so close to doing the unnecessary on the lines of straight up locin’
The potential that I possess my circumstance is choking!


Am I the only one that believes in me?


Society along with my family can’t seem to look past the stereotypes, that paint me as the poster child of negativity.


Yes, His look said all and more to me.


I’ am unable to fix the problem that he faces, but I do believe there is a remedy!


The Familiar Look!


©2010 Atiya Meadows-Thomas .All rights reserved no republication of this material, in any form or medium is permitted without expressed permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment